President George Washington's Long rifle is currently on display at the Frazier Museum, in Louisville, Kentucky on the second floor. The rifle is on display as part of their Permanent Collection.
The flintlock rifle was presented to the nation's first president at his Mount Vernon estate in Virginia in 1791. The original rifle is a 5 ft long, .44 caliber, Pennsylvania Flintlock, Long rifle. The rifle is made of curly maple, featuring rococo carvings on the stock of the rifle. The barrel is signed by the maker in script "J* P * Beck." The Butt plate of the rifle bears the engraved inscription "To President George Washington. Mount Vernon, Virginia. A.D 1791."
The rifle was built by John Philip Beck of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania in 1791. John Philip Beck took the oath of allegiance to Pennsylvania in 1778. He fought 6th Class, 2nd Battalion, Lancaster County Militia under David Crouse during the Revolutionary War. Furthermore, J.P. Beck served on the Committee of Safety building long rifles for the War Effort in Lancaster County for the Colonial Militia from 1778-1781.. J.P. Beck is regarded as one of the finest and most influential gun builders in his region. It is believed J.P Beck was selected to build the rifle due to his many contributions for the war effort.
The rifle was rediscovered in the 1920's and was displayed in Independence Hall in Philadelphia from 1924 until 1974. The rare artifact was purchased for excess of a million dollars by Louisville businessman Owsley Brown Frazier in 2003. It was since been available for public display.
Click HERE to see a video of the original rifle.
At the bottom of the page is a video of this historic arms recreation built to exact specification and measurement by Descendant John D. Beck. With one distinct difference--the contemporary rifle is signed J.D. Beck.
Video of the historic rifle being recreated!